Iam not sure if u wanna know that for specificly for JTabbed Pane, but
otherwise thru applet servlet communication u can get the data as
URL url = new URL(getCodeBase(), "/servlet/Servlet1");
        HttpMessage msg = new HttpMessage(url);
        InputStream in = msg.sendGetMessage();
        DataInputStream data = new DataInputStream(
                               new BufferedInputStream(in));
        nextMessage = data.readLine();

But remember to do one thin in the servlet set ur content type as text
instead of html,, response.setContentType("text/plain");
Regards,
Mandeep