Hi
  Use session.isNew() to check if in case he has closed the browser window and opened
again in a new window.If the session.isNew() returns true then reset all session
variables in ur code.As for the other scenario when he goes to another site by typing
the url in the location bar and comes back to ur page by clicking the back button U
can avoid that scenario by making ur page non cacheable by the browser by setting the
header in the response as
                response.setHeader("Cache-Control","no-cache");

This works with Netscape fine.But with IE there is different method u need to follow
which I don't remember now..

Hope this helps
Prasanna.G.