I have built a reporting system in JSP.

Basically it is stored procedure driven. Then I have a series of Beans to
process the data.I have second series of beans responsible for the
formating. Then output the report in simple html format.

The nice thing with stored procedures driving the core, it makes it easy to
update and add reports to the system.

The problems with web reporting systems is data load. People seem to always
want  to take the old 1000 page reports and port them them to the web, or
have several million records where processing time wont work without also
building a special pre-processed reporting database.

Keep in mind web reports need to run quick and under 5 minutes.
It doesn't matter if the old report took a half hour on the old system. With
web report
people expect speed, and if they dont get it they get mad. Be forewarned...
Oh well so it goes.

Over time I am going to build my reporting feature in the jspkit found on
the www.jspinsider.com web site so you can check that out. Right now the kit
is very beta and is just a framework which we will expand to have more
reporting capability using beans and tag libraries.

Right now I am experiementing with outputing the report data in XML and then
using style sheets to do the special formating. In a few months I will have
a good handle if this is a good way to go.

Casey Kochmer
[EMAIL PROTECTED]