On Fri, 10 Nov 2000, JavierG wrote:

>Hi all:
>
>Has anybody used Struts for real development without the whole stuff
>crashing down every two weeks?  Please, don’t misinterpret me, I think
>Struts is a GREAT thing and I’m very exited about it, but the 0.5 version
>stuff is scary at best… I mean, we live in a world where most of the time
>1.0 versions (and sometimes 2.0 versions) are only over hyped betas.
>Comments are very welcome…

I would just like to note that version numbers mean rather different
things in the open-source world versus the world of commercial software.
Software vendors are usually in a rush to get their products to market, so
in a first release, you can count on there being some bugs in a version 1
release.  By contrast, open-source programmers usually do not get paid,
and thus are more likely to be motivated by the prospect of gaining a
reputation for producing good software.  So most open-source software
developers do not claim their software to be a "1.0" version until they
are personally satisfied with the product.  Many good pieces of software,
such as the Enlightenment window manager for Unix systems, are quite
stable and functional, but have not been declared to be version 1 or
higher because the developers have set higher standards for themselves
than the users have.

If a piece of open-source software is version 1.0, I have a lot more
confidence in it than I do a 1.0 release of a commercial program.

--
Cheers,
Bob Schmertz