About 1)  I suggest not to access request, response, cookie and other
web-specific information from beans. I say this, because you'll want to
reuse beans maybe in other type of applications, so it's simpler and more
object-
oriented to leave those specifics information to JSPs pages or servlets.
It's my point of view. You can access information from the request object,
and pass that information to a bean method. Then you can use the returned
information from the bean method and display it within the JSP (instead of
using the response object from the bean).
Of course, you can access and use those objects from a bean, but the way I
told you it's more object-oriented and you'll end up with more reusable
objects.

Robert.