Thanks everybody,

I finally find the error.  You are right, Doug, it is not in the code I send
you.  I have the error when I collect the data.

I really appreciate all your help.

--Shirley



>From: "Doug Turner" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>Reply-To: "Doug Turner" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>To: "A mailing list about Java Server Pages specification and reference"
><[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>CC: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>Subject: Re:      arrays
>Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2000 21:24:25 -0500
>
>Here is a complete program taking your logic (after fixing the couple of
>typos).  It works fine; I ran it from the command line with arguments Cat
>Chat Chen and Cat Chat Fen, and in both cases it worked.  I believe your
>error is somewhere else, not in the code you sent us.
>
>import java.util.*;
>
>public class Shirley
>{
>
>    public static void main(String[] args)
>    {
>       Vector myVector = new Vector();
>
>       // load the vector with the command line args
>       for (int x = 0; x < args.length; ++x)
>       {
>          myVector.add(args[x]);
>       }
>
>       String[] array1 = new String[myVector.size()];
>       String tmpString = "";
>       int j=0;
>
>       for (int i=0; i<myVector.size(); i++)
>       {
>          tmpString = (String)myVector.get(i);
>          if (tmpString.indexOf('C') != -1)
>          {
>            array1[j] = tmpString;
>            j++;
>          }
>       }
>
>       String[] array2 = new String[j];
>       for (int i=0; i<j; i++)
>       {
>          array2[i] = array1[i];
>       }
>
>       // print out the contents of the second array
>       for (int y = 0; y < array2.length; ++y)
>       {
>          System.out.println(array2[y]);
>       }
>    }
>}
>
>----- Original Message -----
>From: Shirley Chen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>Sent: Wednesday, December 20, 2000 2:39 PM
>Subject: arrays
>
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > I have a question, somebody please help me:
> >
> > I have a vector which will keep all the names the user typed in.  Then
>the
> > user supposes can do a query like "give me all the name which starts
>with
> > 'C'".  In order to do that, I do something like this:
> >
> > ...
> > String[] array1 = new String[myVector.size()];
> > String tempString = "";
> > int j=0;
> >
> > for (int i=0; i<myVector.size(); i++)
> > {
> >    tmpString = (String)myVector.get(i);
> >    if (tmpString.indexOf('C') != -1)
> >       {
> >         array1[j] = tmpString;
> >         j++;
> >       }
> > }
> >
> > file://since array1 may not be filled up with data, I transfer it to
>another
> > String array so I know how many element in the array
> >
> > String array2 = new String[j];
> > for (int i=0; i<j; i++)
> > {
> >    array2[i] = array1[i];
> > }
> >
> > // then I will do display. Supposedly, say, array2.length is 20, if the
>user
> > wants to display first 5, I will display only the first 5 records, if
>the
> > user wants to display 30, and I will display 20 instead.
> > ...
> >
> > I can display all the situations ok except when myVector contains the
>names
> > that all start with "C" (which means array2.length should be
> > myVector.size()). then the program will crash.  I think it might be
>array
> > out of bound problem, but I don't know how to fix it. Please help me.
> > _________________________________________________________________
> > Get your FREE download of MSN Explorer at http://explorer.msn.com
> >
> >
>===========================================================================
> > To unsubscribe: mailto [EMAIL PROTECTED] with body: "signoff
>JSP-INTEREST".
> > For digest: mailto [EMAIL PROTECTED] with body: "set JSP-INTEREST
>DIGEST".
> > Some relevant FAQs on JSP/Servlets can be found at:
> >
> >  http://java.sun.com/products/jsp/faq.html
> >  http://www.esperanto.org.nz/jsp/jspfaq.html
> >  http://www.jguru.com/jguru/faq/faqpage.jsp?name=JSP
> >  http://www.jguru.com/jguru/faq/faqpage.jsp?name=Servlets
> >
>

_________________________________________________________________
Get your FREE download of MSN Explorer at http://explorer.msn.com

===========================================================================
To unsubscribe: mailto [EMAIL PROTECTED] with body: "signoff JSP-INTEREST".
For digest: mailto [EMAIL PROTECTED] with body: "set JSP-INTEREST DIGEST".
Some relevant FAQs on JSP/Servlets can be found at:

 http://java.sun.com/products/jsp/faq.html
 http://www.esperanto.org.nz/jsp/jspfaq.html
 http://www.jguru.com/jguru/faq/faqpage.jsp?name=JSP
 http://www.jguru.com/jguru/faq/faqpage.jsp?name=Servlets

Reply via email to