It's not either Taglibs or JavaBeans.  Java Beans are great for accessing
the db or the ejb tier.  Taglibs are good for encapsulating logic that affects
presentation or for forcing a standard format for html elements.

For example,we use a bean to return a collection of records to be displayed, but we
use
custom tags to iterate through the bean's collection.  We use a custom tag to
present a drop down box pre-filled with alternate usernames for new users who want
to register with a username that is already in use.

We also use a custom tag for the username text box.  It forces all username text
boxes to have a maxlength of 20.  This way developers don't forget the max size of
the username in the
database and accidentally allow 100 character usernames to be input on the
registration page.  They just always use the username tag.

JJR