And from a different perspective, think about the HTML designer, the person that is
primarily responsible for layout.  Consider what they know about HTML tags.  Now
imagine being able to add to that any kind of tags you want.  That's the capability
you get from custom tags.  Suddenly your layout people are more productive since they
can use these new tags to build common functionalities more quickly, or their
capabilities are simply expanded since now they can easily write loops and conditions
(<mytags:if> etc), access datasets, or turn out internationalized pages, etc. etc.

The possibilities are endless.

T.