There's that "gurus" again, when I've seen only one active on the list
lately (and it ain't me...) -- and where do you WANT them to put their
brains?

If you CREATE a java bean, it will be instantiated based on scope. If you
scope it to session, it'll be instantiated once per session. Per page, once
per page. Per application, once per application. Per request, once per
request. The JSP specification addresses this; it's found at
http://java.sun.com/products/jsp/, which has the white paper for JSP as well
as other information (such as tutorials.)