I tried it and it works right within my IE browser because I had the Acrobat
Plugin installed.
If the mime-type requested in the header is support by the browser, then I
believe the href link causes the browser to hand the file over to the
plug-in;
otherwise, an alternate tag is invoked which usually calls for a download of
the file via http or ftp.....