In Model-View-controller also known as request-controller architecture is a
solution to develop maintainable JSP based systems. It involves having one
JSP or servlet as a single point of entry into an application or group of
pages. This JSP/servlet (named controller) produces no output itself but
processes the request, manipulate session and application state and redirect
requests to appropriate JSP view with the help of a request processor class.
The request processor class will be using some helper classes (request
handlers) to process the request.
Hope this helps for further info refer to some book.
Ranjan