piyush,

I don't know anything about iplanet web server, so I can't comment on how
iplanet works.

Again, I'm not an expert on JRUN, but it is my understanding that all JSP's
and servlets are loaded into memory the first time that particulary page is
hit/called by JRUN.  This is why the first time you hit a large JSP page, it
might take a few seconds for it to display, and then all subsequent
hits/calls will run faster, as it is calling the page resident in memory.
As to releasing memory via setting all references to null, or calling a
garbage collector, you can do this with an OBJECT you are referencing in
your JSP, but to my knowledge, you can't set a JSP to null.

For example, you can call a database object in your JSP page

Driver database = DriverManager.getDriver();
// use the db for a while
database = null;

This will release the memory that the database object is using (via the
JVM), but it does NOT unload the JSP page (at least to my knowledge it does
not).  I don't know of anyway to "release" a JSP page from memory.  Does
anyone else have any comment on this?

Celeste