You'll be happy to know that SUN has just created a JCP to standardize a
process that is from what I was told, identical to what your talking about.
While it will be some time before its ready, the framework SUN is putting
forth will allow tool vendors to all us developers to create SWING
applications AND web applications that use the same set of compontents to
render the final output. Basically, you will be able to graphically
drag/drop javabeans (and tag-libs I imagine) that can be used in a SWING or
applet, OR as a JSP page. As David replied to you, the idea would be to have
two layers. The rendering layer, which JSP would be one way, and
SWING/Applet would be the other, and the "data" layer. I am not sure if this
is exactly what the JCP (I forget the name..but I think one name is Java
Faces) will do, but it makes sense. The reason for a standard API is so that
tool vendors can all write tools that we can finally use to quickly develop
web pages AND applications from the same set of components, and have the
choice of deploying it as an application, an applet, or a web page.