Yeah, Bryan, I found this one out the hard way, too.  Many (most?) db
drivers require you to get each field just once and TO GET THEM IN THE SAME
ORDER as they appeared in the SELECT statement.  It is often advisable to
loop through the result set once and save the data into your own class or
other data structure.

Also, we found out the hard way, that accessing a column BY NAME had SERIOUS
performance implications (we were using Weblogics db drivers at the time).
We had to get columns by position (getString(1) instead of
getString("fldName")) to reach our performance goals.

-----Original Message-----
From: Bryan LaPlante [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Saturday, July 07, 2001 7:55 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Rogue url


Call me confused. I have resolved the problem by moving to the top of my
ResultSet loop and declaring local variables to hold the value of each
column during the loop. The problem seems to be if I use the syntax
<%=showdb.getString("anyColumn")%> more than once in the same iteration of
the loop it will throw a Java.sql.SQLException. Am I to assume that after a
reference to the column value has been made that the ResultSet no longer has
that value?

What is it that I don't understand here, Anybody?

Bryan

----- Original Message -----
From: "Bryan LaPlante" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Saturday, July 07, 2001 9:16 AM
Subject: Rogue url


| Hi,
|
| I need a second pair of eyes on this line of code. I am trying to create
an
| anchor tag with the following url.
|
| NewApp.cfm?name=<%= showdb.getString("Name"); %>&description=<%=
| showdb.getString("Description") %>&appID=<%=
| showdb.getString("ApplicationID") %>
|
| When this line is commented out the loop around it runs fine displaying
all
| of the ResultSet. When I run this line of code I get a
| java.sql.SQLException. Can anybody see what I am doing wrong?
|
| NT4 sp6
| JRun3.0
| IIS4
|
| Bryan LaPlante
| 816-347-8220
| [EMAIL PROTECTED]
| http://www.netwebapps.com
| Web Development
|
|
===========================================================================
| To unsubscribe: mailto [EMAIL PROTECTED] with body: "signoff
JSP-INTEREST".
| For digest: mailto [EMAIL PROTECTED] with body: "set JSP-INTEREST
DIGEST".
| Some relevant FAQs on JSP/Servlets can be found at:
|
|  http://java.sun.com/products/jsp/faq.html
|  http://www.esperanto.org.nz/jsp/jspfaq.html
|  http://www.jguru.com/jguru/faq/faqpage.jsp?name=JSP
|  http://www.jguru.com/jguru/faq/faqpage.jsp?name=Servlets
|

===========================================================================
To unsubscribe: mailto [EMAIL PROTECTED] with body: "signoff
JSP-INTEREST".
For digest: mailto [EMAIL PROTECTED] with body: "set JSP-INTEREST
DIGEST".
Some relevant FAQs on JSP/Servlets can be found at:

 http://java.sun.com/products/jsp/faq.html
 http://www.esperanto.org.nz/jsp/jspfaq.html
 http://www.jguru.com/jguru/faq/faqpage.jsp?name=JSP
 http://www.jguru.com/jguru/faq/faqpage.jsp?name=Servlets

===========================================================================
To unsubscribe: mailto [EMAIL PROTECTED] with body: "signoff JSP-INTEREST".
For digest: mailto [EMAIL PROTECTED] with body: "set JSP-INTEREST DIGEST".
Some relevant FAQs on JSP/Servlets can be found at:

 http://java.sun.com/products/jsp/faq.html
 http://www.esperanto.org.nz/jsp/jspfaq.html
 http://www.jguru.com/jguru/faq/faqpage.jsp?name=JSP
 http://www.jguru.com/jguru/faq/faqpage.jsp?name=Servlets

Reply via email to