The problem you are facing is because you are using
JDBC 1.0 drivers. This matter has a solution on JDBC
2.0.

Suppose this ResultSet:
data1-row1 data2-row1
data1-row2 data2-row2
data1-row3 data2-row3

On JDBC 1.0 you can ask for data2-row1 but then you
cannot ask for the previous one (data1-row1). And you
cannot do first(), last(), previous(),....

On JDBC 2.0 if you declare the ResultSet navigable you
can call all the methods just named, and also you can
get the data on one row in any order.

Good luck
Atilio

=====