I am hoping the Java Faces stuff that Sun is working on will do exactly this. I think the ideal Java IDE should support multiple different forms with the same set of components. Then, you can drag and drop any component on a form, and the form is either a java applet, SWING application, OR a web page. Ofcourse, depending on the end result, the component would yield HTML (or XSL and dynamic XML). I don't know if this is entirely possible though. I think the componenets would require code to handle spitting out HTML when used in that context..and it may be easier to juse have a similar set of beans with the same name but are specific for web pages.

Sent: Monday, August 06, 2001 10:37 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: WEB GUI Dvelopment

Whereas the programming model for traditional applications is well established and supported by a lot of tools and development environments, Web programming is a hodgepodge of markup languages, scripting environments, and server platforms. And unfortunately for the average programmer, the knowledge and skills required to write a Web application have little in common with those needed to do traditional application development.

Especially the problem came up for a big companies, developing many Web(Intranet)  application  - where necessity of having such framework + web GUI methodology is very important.

I am looking for 3-d party products (like  .NET WebForm), which allow having a RAD development of WEB presentation.

Web applications are created by dropping controls onto forms, then double-clicking those controls and writing event handlers. A lot of magic goes on behind the scenes to enable this to work, but most of it's transparent to the developer who simply wants to get a Web application up and running with as little friction as possible.

This Framework are combinations of DHTML/XML/XSL, code, and prepackaged server components (GUI controls) that execute on a Web server running on ANY WebServer (NOT only IIS) and they display a user interface by generating—for the most part—ordinary DHTML to return to browsers.

I will be very appreciating if someone put us onto such products, links, and articles.

Thanks and Regards,