See the "The Problem" discussion at http://virtualschool.edu/jwaa to
see whether the analysis presented there of the root problem applies
in your company.

In my view, whether the programming interface is graphical or not is
not the biggest different. The biggest is that conventional aps are
entirely within the scope of the programming language whereas big
parts of a web app are dynamically linked to the application and thus
immune to compile time type checks.

If this is the problem you're trying to solve, the software at this
link within a graphical environment like Visual Age could be exactly
what you're looking for.

--
   For industrial age goods there were checks and credit cards.
For everything else there is http://virtualschool.edu/mybank