I have a recursive looping problem here.

For example, say I have this table

id, name, parent

1,john,4
2,bill,3
3,cathy,4
4,jackie,0
5,jeff,4
6,joe,7
7,amy,0

Essentially,

jackie doesn't have a parent, but has john, jeff and cathy as children. bill
is the child of cathy and thus jackies grandchild.

How would I do this query such that I say I want to see all the children
(including everyone below him/her) below, say jackie...this is really a self
join to oneself with an unknown number of levels below.

How would I do this in jsp do display all of jackies relatives below her?