If you are selecting data from a database and that database happens to be
Oracle look at the connect by clause.  It does everything you are looking
for.

eg
select name, id, level
from yourtable
where
start with id=0    /* or put whatever id you want to start looking from */
connect by prior id = parent_id ;

Scott.

                    Frank Mancini
                    <frank69m@HOTMAIL        To:     [EMAIL PROTECTED]
                    .COM>                    cc:
                    Sent by: A               Subject:     Re: Please help! Recursive
loop in JSP
                    mailing list
                    about Java Server
                    Pages
                    specification and
                    reference
                    <JSP-INTEREST@JAV
                    A.SUN.COM>

                    .

                    11/12/01 06:16 PM
                    Please respond to
                    A mailing list
                    about Java Server
                    Pages
                    specification and
                    reference

Thanks Joe, ya I want more info. I think we will choose the narrower and
deeper family. Let me know if you have anymore ideas.