From: Hans Bergsten [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: 27 February 2002 18:26
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: How to call a user defined method from a JSP

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> The specifics may vary from server to server, but in general you can
> you place the class anywhere.  However, your classpath must point to
> the directory containing the code.

This is not correct. All JSP 1.0 (and later) compliant servers look for
class files in two very well defined places: the WEB-INF/classes and the
WEB-INF/lib directories for the application. The first is for class
files and the second for class files packaged in JAR files. In addition,
some containers let you place class files and JAR files in
container-specific directories, but the two WEB-INF dirctories are
*always* used and should be your first choice.

> Also, remember to import your class in your
> JSP.
> <%@ page import="DBConnection" %>

This is true, and the reason for why you need to import a class that is
not declared to be in a package (i.e. that is part of the unnamed
default package) is described in more detail here:

   <http://java.oreilly.com/news/jsptips_1100.html>

Hans

> Hope this helps.
>      ~ Elena.
> ---------------------------
> Elena Tsifrina
> SYSCOM, Inc.
> www.syscom.com
>

>                     "Chauviaux, Patrick"
>                     <[EMAIL PROTECTED]       To:
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
>                     NISYS.COM>                    cc:
>                     Sent by: A mailing list       Subject:     Re: How
to call a user defined method from a

--
Hans Bergsten           [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Gefion Software         http://www.gefionsoftware.com

JSP-INTEREST". For digest: mailto [EMAIL PROTECTED] with body: "set
JSP-INTEREST DIGEST". Some relevant FAQs on JSP/Servlets can be found
at: