WRITING GIFS.....???? CAN'T BE ....HERE'S THE LATEST JAI 1.1 DOCS:
 o GIF file handling:

                 GIF files are read using the JDK's internal reader. There
is no GIF
                 writer. Due to a bug in the AWT GIF decoder, GIFs with a
transparent
                 background will be decoded as if their background were
black.

                 GIF files may not be read remotely, i.e., via RemoteImage,
on hosts
                 without window system access as the reader uses the AWT
toolkit
                 which requires window system access.

THERE IS NO GIF WRITER.
JPEGS ? YES.