First of all:-

java.util.sql birthday = null;   should be   java.util.Date birthday = null;

as the Calendar.getTime() method returns a util date object.

-----Original Message-----
From: Emmanuel Eze [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Tuesday, May 07, 2002 1:34 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: sql Date

Hi all,

Can somebody pls tell me how I can insert a Date type into a database table
with a Date datatype?

I have the year, month, and day as integer values.  I need to convert these
values into an sql Date object so I can now insert the Date object into the
table, right?

I have the following code:
Calendar cbirthday = null;
java.util.sql birthday = null;
.
.
.
cbirthday = Calendar.getInstance();
cbirthday.set(Integer.parseInt(year), Integer.parseInt(month),
Integer.parseInt(day));
birthday = cbirthday.getTime();

This last statement throws a cast exception!  Even when I change it to:
birthday = (java.sql.Date) cbirthday.getTime();

Pls tell me what I'm doing wrongly.

Emma