Java Developer

[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]] On Behalf Of G.Nagarajan
Sent: Monday, May 13, 2002 4:16 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: comparing JSP/PHP

hi,
Here are some advantages of using jsp over PHP. I have not worked with
PHP
but it is
like asp, so some features listed below might be available.

1. JSP pages are compiled into a java class (servlet) during the first
invocation. The
subsequent requests are then served by the compiled class. In the case
of
PHP, the code is
interpreted and executed for each request.

2. JSP uses java code while PHP uses its own syntax.

3. We can easily use OOPs techniques in jsp. Complex code can be put
into
java classes and they can be
invoked from the jsp page. We can invoke the java interpreter from PHP
but
that would not be an
elegant solution.

4. JSP provides tag libraries which can be used to hide the java code
even
further.

Basically, in my opinion, if the client's applications needs only some
simple scripting then PHP
will be a good option. If there are lots of complex logic, with database
access etc then jsp with
servlets would be a better option. Writing lots of loops, ifs and
exceptions
in a page mixed with html
and javascript will a nightmare. Then you also will have to worry about
the
html design etc.

regards,
Nagarajan.