JavaScript only works at client side, I mean, when the page arrives to the
browser. JSP works at the server, so you can, of course add JavaScript code
in your JSP but it will be executed when the page gets rendered at the
browser. To add JavaScript in JSP just add the html tags to do it. For
example:

// THIS IS A JSP PAGE

<head>
<script language=JavaScript src="JavaScriptFile.js" <script/>
<script language=JavaScript >
funtion setItem(ItemValue)
 document.forms[0].Item.value= 'BLABLA'
</script>
</head>
<% jsp scriptlet with java code %>

<% if request.getParameter("Param1").equals("VALUE") { %>
<script language=JavaScript>
        alert("Param1 has been set")
        document.forms[1].Item3.selectedIndex=1
</script>
<% }  %>

<% ...more java code %>

// END OF JSP PAGE

As you see you can combine the code as you will. The static code will be
rendered always but that inside de if will be rendered only if Param1's
value is "VALUE".

Hope this helps