I think I may have found the problem.  My webserver
(I rent space on a commercial webserver) does a strange thing
with regards to URL's:
when I type in "www.addr.com/~mgardne/somepage.html"
the browser actually gets redirected to
"www22.addr.com/~mgardne/somepage.html"
the www gets changed to www22.  I think the servlet
container was looking at some of my URL's and getting
confused as to what was coming from where or something.
Anyway, I hard coded some of my url's to absolute urls's
with the http://www22.addr.com in them, and my sessions work now.
not a pretty fix I know, but atleast I have it working.

--Monte Glenn Gardner