On Wed, Dec 25, 2002 at 06:42:48PM +0530, Amit Gautam wrote:
> We are using XALAN parser in our JSP code.

     You may be using Xalan, but an issue with loading a large DOM is
probably something to do with Xerces (which is embedded in Xalan).
Xerces provides the SAX and DOM stuff, Xalan provides the XSLT and
XPath stuff.

> we observed that it does not allow more than 6 MB of DOM (including
> all the DOMS) to be loaded into memory.  e.g. i can load a 2 MB XML
> file and around 43 100 KB XML files, but not more than that.

     What happens when you try?

> This is in win2k environment
> does anyone know how to rectify this, any workaround?
> can we use any other parser same as XALAN but not having this limitation. Is
> this a parser limitation or something else??
> Also, is this applicable to the Linux / Unix environment as well?

     The answers to all of these questions depend on what exactly is
happening when you try to load in a large DOM.

     It might conceivably just be that you need to crank up the JVM's
max memory allocation (check out the -Xm option in the JDK docs
http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4.1/docs/tooldocs/windows/java.html).  The
default max allocation is 64MB (though it used to be only 16MB).

Steven J. Owens
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

 Take it all with a grain of salt." - Me at http://darksleep.com