Am Freitag, 28. Februar 2003 13:23 schrieb Omer Tariq:

> Hi there,
> I'm about to start on my first professional JSP/Servlet project and have
> done some "hands dirtyin'" on the Sun One Studio IDE. I'd like to know how
> reliable and popular this IDE is and how does it compare to others.
> Regards,
> Omer

Hi Omer,

the reliability of S1 Studio is heavily discussed on the Sun EAP list,
currently, and a number of people people obviously found it to be
not stable enough for their personal tastes. Others complain it's
slow when compared to the rather bare-bone Eclipse. I won't
judge, check for yourself.

Telling from my own experience I found hat S1 (as NetBeans) is
a great IDE for web development in particular, as it has full-
fledged support for that, including a HTTP monitor which is
extremely useful when problems arise. Most other IDEs, even
'commercial' ones, seem pale to comparison in this direction,
and you get database support, CORBA, RMI and a lot of
other things for free from the Community edition. S1 gene-
rally supports the latest standards in Sun Terms, that is:
Servlets 2.3 and JSP 1.2. It won't touch existing web
application descriptors complying to earlier versions,
but it's hard to create those for earlier versions directly
in S1 for new projects. Apart from that, getting com-
fortable with S1 may take some time if you're already
accustomed to other IDEs. On the other hand, Forte 4 |
Sun ONE Studio is something like JBuilder Professional for
free for both non-profit and commercial projects. I say
it's good and well worth a look. Eclipse may be faster,
but this is no wonder, as it's so limited you wouldn't
want to take it in consideration for real-world projects
beyond applets and applications without GUIs. You can
get that web support via plugins, but most of them are
in a real early stage, rather instable and no competitive
alternative, currently, at least. Or buy IBM's WebSphere
Application Developer (WSAD), but with all the lacking
features on board, it's really slow, too.

Well, after evaluating quite a number of IDEs, both
commercial and 'free' ones (including Sun ONE,
JBuilder 7 Enterprise, WSAD, Visual Cafe, Together 6,
VisualAge EE, IntelliJ and numerous less-known alter-
natives), my current mainstay is Oracle's JDeveloper 9i
which you should check out as well. This is something
like JBuilder 8 for free, with integrated Struts support
and some nice other features, including J2EE, and I do
a lot of Oracle-related work, so it fits best in general
for my purposes. The good thing about JDev 9i is that
you can switch off all those proprietary extensions and
still have a professional, J2EE-supporting IDE. It's really
stable, but it's not perfect. In comparison to S1, it
sometimes even falls short. S1 has a better JSP debu-
gger, which also shows you the servlet code generated
from JSPs, a feature I heavily missed recently when
Resin failed to compile JSPs which worked perfectly
under Tomcat, Orion, Oracle iAS and LWS 3.0, and
I also miss the HTTP Monitor integrated into S1, as
that one shows you just everything conveivable
about your web app's actions, whereas in JDev 9i,
using the TCP Monitor, you end up with just the
clear-text versions of request/response without
any info about request parameters, session state
and everything. Well, after all, there is no perfect
IDE. At work, we use Sun ONE studio and are quite
content with it.

-- Chris (SCPJ2)