One important question: What container are you targeting this for?  If
this is a JSP 2.0 container, there's an easier way to do this.  Assuming
you use the Servlet 2.4 schema in your web.xml, your JSP line would look
like this:

        <JavaComponents:calendar prevMonth="${param.prevMonth}" />

In this case, there's no need to declare variables or write any
scriptlets.