From: Richard Yee <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: JSP-INTEREST@JAVA.SUN.COM
Subject: Re: DB Connection prob
Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2007 21:44:14 -0700

Graeme,
Since you mention that you are using a deployment descriptor, I am
assuming this is for a web application. If this is so, your application
is not going to be thread-safe b/c the connection is static and can be
used by different threads. If this is for a web application, you should
use a connection pool and a datasource. In your current problem, your
variables should not be final.

-Richard

Graeme McLaren wrote:
Hi all, I have a prob connecting to my Oracle DB.  I have a class called
"DBConnection" and have various setter methods which set values found
in the
deployment descriptor, for example:

 public static void setDriver (String val) {
      driver = val;
        System.out.println("driver 2= "+driver);  // I get the value
displayed here so all is good at this point
}

I then have a getConnection method within this class:

public static Connection getConnection(){
   try{
     Class.forName( driver ); // load the JDBC "driver" class
     connection = DriverManager.getConnection( dbURL, username,
password );
// get connection

       /*
               more code here
       */

} // end of getConnection

When I try to call getConnection() I get a nullpointerexception at
Class.forName( driver ); as "driver" is set to null, why is this when the
setter method sets the value?

All variables are declared set to null and are static so they should
be able
to be set by the setter method shouldn't they?  Just thinking about it
now
I'm thinking that when the variables are initialised to "null" that is
them
set and cannot be changed because they are static (and final), would
that be
right?

How should I fix this?

Cheers