Congratulations Rick, you are the first person I ever met outside the electronics
 community that had a solid understand of the role of "magic smoke" in the Integrated Circuit  fabrication process.

Rick Hightower wrote:

Mike, No... but I once wrote a TSR in C with some assembly that would occasionally wipe out my bios. I did fix it eventually..... Da#n that pointer arithmetic. Every time it wiped it out, I had to reconfigure my bios settings... Ugh! I wrote the TSR just for fun too. As it turns out, TSR were on their way out at the time. Da#n Windows. DOS rules! Oh yeah I left a computer out in my car once (a 50lb "portable computer" that I bought at WeirdStuff next to first Fry's Electronics in Sunnyvale CA; 8088 rules!).... when I plugged it back in the condensation short circuited the board and all the magic smoke left the ICs. At least I don't have to worry about condensation in AZ.  Rick Hightower----- Original Message -----
Sent: Monday, July 29, 2002 4:38 PM
Subject: Re: [jug-discussion] fun with Ant: new Review of Jython book
 yea but did you also manage to change your password at the same time or remap your keyboard???

;-)>

Ollie

At 04:20 PM 7/29/2002 -0700, you wrote:

I wrote an Ant build today that deleted my source files.

In the words of Homer Simpson: DOH!

Some guy at about.com wrote a review of my newest book:
http://compnetworking.about.com/library/reviews/aapr-python_jcl.htm
------ text from review --------

Jython (Python) Programming with the Java Class Libraries, by Richard Hightower  <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

ISBN 0201616165 Guide Rating -    4 stars (out of 5)

Pros  "  covers Java streams, Swing and database functionality

"  rich in sample code and practical example applications

"  does not require any previous knowledge of Jython / Python

Cons  "  omits coverage of integrating Jython and Java unit testing frameworks

"  contains various small factual errors and inconsistencies

"  poor choice of cover art

The Bottom Line - A good book for Java developers who want to improve their productivity by incorporating Jython into their work.

 Product Description

"  Chapters 1-5 present an overview of the Jython / Python programming language.

"  Chapters 6-7 explain basic concepts of object-oriented programming, including exceptions.

"  In Chapters 8-10, the fundamentals of Jython files, strings, and built-in functions are reviewed.

"  Chapter 11 introduces the basics of interfacing Jython with Java.

"  Chapter 12 illustrates working with Java streams from Jython.

"  Chapters 13-16 focus on utilizing Java user interfaces and graphics, Swing and AWT, from Jython.

"  Chapter 17 demonstrates the use of Java SQL and JDBC functionality from Jython.

"  Chapter 18 shows how to implement Java applets using Jython.

"  Appendices document how to install Jython, using regular expressions, and more about scripting.

Python Programming with the Java Class Libraries - A Jython Tutorial

This book introduces the programming language known as Jython. Jython is an implementation of the Python language designed for use with the Java Virtual Machine.

Jython allows Java developers to increase their productivity and overcome some of the limitations of Java. With Jython, for example, one can quickly implement modules that use collections or regular expressions, without compromising on object-oriented principles and portability. More importantly, Jython supports extending Java applications and gluing together of multiple related systems.
The author provides numerous detailed code examples on a wide range of programming topics, from user interfaces to databases.
---

Rick Hightower

Michael Oliver
Chief Technology Officer
AppsAsPeers LLC
7391 S. Bullrider Ave.
Tucson, AZ 85747
520.574.1150 Voice
520.844.1036 Fax
520.270.8862 Cell
http://www.appsaspeers.com Home Page
[EMAIL PROTECTED] SMS
http://www.ollie.ezpeer.net Personal Home Page
http://www.ollie.im-live.com/im-live/  Instant Chat
[EMAIL PROTECTED] MSN Messenger
[EMAIL PROTECTED] Yahoo Instant Messenger
MikeOliverAZ Aol Instant Messenger
[EMAIL PROTECTED] Jabber Instant Messenger
[EMAIL PROTECTED] Odigo Instant Messenger

It that's not enough there are more proprietary networks you can get me on but if you aren't on them...too bad...you just have to use one of these.