At 06:29 AM 9/20/2004 -0700, Drew Davidson wrote:

>I think about the closest you are going to get on a Java VM is the old
>ctrl-break trick (on Windows) to generate a thread dump.  Not exactly a
>core file, but then again what could you do with a Java core file
>anyway?  There aren't any debuggers that could work with them (unless
>you just want to dump the state of the VM to disk and restart it later).

Thanks for that note.

I don't have a need at the moment but I got to thinking about how core
files can be useful in some cases and that made me wonder if a similar
capability of any sort had been developed for Java.  A cooperative debugger
would be part of the picture, of course.

Today I got to wondering if any shells or (even better) operating systems
have addressed the problem of treating class files or jars as first-class
executables... :)

|       William H. Mitchell       |
|  Mitchell Software Engineering  |
| Consulting/Development/Training |
|   [EMAIL PROTECTED]    520-577-6431   |