To the extent that i understand the problem here, my favorite solution is to use linux.

It sounds like the problem is that undeploying an app from tomcat doesn't work. I'm pretty sure that's becuase on windows you can't delete open files.

On linux, there's no problem deleting open files, so undeploy/redeploy just works.

maybe i've totally missed the point though. i've never even heard of anthillpro, so that seems pretty likely.

Drew Davidson wrote:
Tim Colson wrote:

I'm going nuts. I've been trying to get ANT to re-deploy a webapp to Tomcat 5 via AnthillPro. Works from command line, but hangs AnthillPro.
A little background... I first tried the ant-tomcat tasks to simply undeploy/deploy but the Flex app (inside util.war) has problems undeploying - there is a directory filled with jars that cannot be removed. So I decided to just stop tomcat, wipe out the directory and redeploy...
It all works... the build is a success... but Anthillpro hangs at the end. :-(
I just don't get it. (I've tried exec with startup and startup-using-launcher... with and without spawn. It really does need spawn, otherwise it understandibly does not finish the build process.

A hint: the Tomcat tasks are more trouble than they are worth. They don't work.

I just run tomcat in a console window and restart it whenever I redeploy. Slower, but it's consistently correct. If you installed the Tomcat service you can use the control panel to start/stop (but I prefer the console so that I can see what's going on).
Better yet use Resin (http://www.caucho.com) which is faster to start and stop. It has a control panel also (no service install, however).

- Drew