> A hint:  the Tomcat tasks are more trouble than they are worth.
The ant tomcat tasks worked with some of my contexts, but the flex app does
not seem to be behaving -- it won't undeploy cleanly when using the Tomcat
Manager either. :-(

That's why I switched to just exec'ing the shutdown.bat and manually
scripting the deploy of a new copy of the war.

> I just run tomcat in a console window and
> restart it whenever I redeploy.
Yeah, I do that locally, but this situation is on a remote server with
AnthillPro -- i.e. I want to have it automagically redeploy new builds.

> Tomcat service you can use the control panel to start/stop
I've got one of those too. ;-)

> Better yet use Resin (http://www.caucho.com) which is faster to start
> and stop.  It has a control panel also (no service install, however).
For personal dev, I may try out Jetty and Resin -- I've been interested in
them for a while -- ever since the "Does Tomcat Suck?" blog post came out.
<grin>

But for the corporate gig, Tomcat more closely resembles the production
environment -- it is what it is, and so I need to use TC.

Way back -- before Intellij had built-in Tomcat integration, I ran TC as an
external 'tool' by starting with the Bootstrap class. I haven't re-found the
docs on that -- thinking maybe it might be a cleaner way to start Tomcat
from Ant since it wouldn't involve java to exec/native process to fire up a
java app.

-Timo