John D. Mitchell wrote:
"Andrew" == Andrew Huntwork <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
[...]
Really?  You work in a place where it's *not* dictated that you use them
(or, contrapositively, you e.g., "can't afford" e.g., good solutions)?  Or
do you only use them on your own pet projects but not at work?  Or what?

i have used alternatives to each of those projects at work. (jrun, IIS, some POS custom servlets-based framework, make, BLOAT, and others)

On pet projects, well, free is good. but there are a lot of free alternatives these days, and free vs. non-free is not the subject of my post. lack of lockin was the subject of this part of my post.