Hi Andrew,

Many thanks for your quick reply, and in particular for your information with
the link.? It's really frustrating working in isolation here in France, without
any person able to help me with my various questions, so I've had to use books
and the Internet to get all my information.? Basically I started with Glassfish
and server-side programming completely from scratch when I started here in
October.? However, the positive side of my situation is that nobody here knows
how I'm writing the code or understands what I'm doing, they only see the end
result, so if I goof up, which I've done often, they don't see my silly
mistakes, and I just say there is a bug which I'm trying to fix!

I first worked on this project here a year ago, but they were unable to provide
a computer to host the website, due to delays in getting the required funds,
and I didn't have a laptop with Linux on it.? Moreover there was not much in
the way of tools,?so when I first started I didn't know what server technology
to use, so I developed all the client-side code in HTML, CSS, and JavaScript by
hand using Notepad and a couple of browsers.? When I got Glassfish running in
the fall, I already had my forms wired up using JavaScript and DOM, and rather
than rewriting the client-side code from scratch, I modified the JavaScript to
that I could concatenate the values from the various input fields on a page,
then used the DOM to write to a separate JSF form I have at the bottom of a
page.??No doubt there is a much better way of doing this, but I wanted to take
advantage of what I had already coded and debugged.

I have a bean that picks up the concatenated input, parses it, and sends the
output to a directory which is periodically scanned by a Linux script, which
then calls some FORTRAN code written by one of the people here.? Originally I
wanted a bean to invoke C via the JNI, from which FORTRAN can be called, or
invoke a Linux script from Java, and I found out how to do?both of these?and
got some code to work.? However, the powers that be and their mentality on
security meant neither of these methods were acceptable.

On a completely different subject, I spent a couple of weeks last month
learning some Flash, and put together my first attempt at
http://csharp.com/mirrors.html , the idea coming from a T-shirt design at
Steward Observatory.

Yes, many thanks, I also certainly look forward to meeting you in person at the
next JUG meeting after I get back to Tucson.

Regards,

Christopher