Oooh....Kit puts on his flame-suite and throws a hand grenade into the room....

Don't listen to that Luddite, Liz. Personally, I think Spring is terrific
and there are very few types of web applications I would build without it.

As for unnecessary....sure, most tools are unnecessary but I
bet Kit uses at least one IDE when he could write everything
with VI and compile from the command line.

As many people have commented on this list, all tools are
good at some things and not so good for other things. A
really good programmer knows when and how to use the
right tool for the job.
        regards,
        -tom