On 2/11/09 14:56, "Karl M. Davis" <k...@davisonlinehome.name> wrote:

> I'm not a Spring guy myself but writing files to an application-relative path
> doesn't sound like a great idea: what if you're application isn't
> exploded/unpacked (i.e. what if everything is running from a WAR/JAR)?
>
> Why not load a writable path for the application from
> System.getProperty("myapp.fileStore"), using a Preferences instance, or
> something along those lines?

Good point about the unexploded WAR.  What a PITA.  Normal parameter files
like web.xml would have to be extracted from the WAR then replaced?  So even
if recognizing that setting the parameter by the deployer should be
mandatory (maybe a default would be to store files in the user directory as
you suggest) there is no easy way to do that with an unexploded WAR?

I¹m beginning to lean towards the deployer having to explicitly set the path
for securities sake.

Steven