they have horribly sophomoric covers (which are just stock photos) - but you
might consider "Head First Java", the last version I believe came out in
2005 - so I think won't be up-to-date with 1.6 ... but if you're building a
foundation, the book would likely work to get that solidified... and then
you should be able to pick up the differences from 1.5 to 1.6 from online
materials.

Try before you buy:

http://books.google.com/books?id=5VTBuvfZDyoC&dq=Head+First+Java&printsec=frontcover&source=bn&hl=en&ei=HtCZSYiMKom4sAOV2p2AAQ&sa=X&oi=book_result&resnum=6&ct=result

(or just go to books.google.com and search for Head First Java)

I know people that absolutely love Kathy Sierra's books, I've been reading
their Design Patterns book online (one of the benefits of an ACM membership,
you get a limited Safari Bookshelf) and it's pretty good.