java being bloated has nothing to do with it being relevant or not.
if something is irrelevant, you can strip it from existence and
nothing will happen (because it's irrelevant).

> There's a lot of blog if you search in Google why so many companies
> nowadays are moving away from Java to a more funky and fun framework
> or language like Ruby, Rails, Python etc. Even Thoughtworks, a well
> know Java thought leader is using Rails! Because Java is not relevant.

it's because java is not too agile compared to ror, not because it's
irrelevant.

> Yes Android is based on Java, tapi pertanyaan yang paling penting
> adalah berapa banyak sales handphone Android di pasaran? :-D Bahkan
> iPhone pun tidak support J2ME natively. Another reason why I think
> Java is not relevant besides Nokia is supporting Python natively.
> Dan market leader tetap dipegang Nokia pak.

how mature is android compared to symbian/brew so you can draw
conclusion that android "failed"? even it might fail, is there any
proven record that the failure is caused by their language of choice
(Java)?

doest iphone support anything beside apple's own tech?

i use a mac and it's not market leader. i don't see anything wrong
with it.

> Yes GAE finally supports Java, tapi pertanyaan yang paling penting
> adalah berapa banyak perusahaan yang menggunakan GAE compared to
> EC2? Mayoritas web yang di deploy di EC2 menggunakan Rails, bukan
> Java.

if you're following cloud technology, you will know GAE is not
targeting EC2. read some blog. and, if this matters, it's still in
infancy compared to EC2.

> Another important question, the most high traffic and funky website,
> is it made with Java?

my copy of Photoshop doesn't made of Java, neither does Windows,
Linux, and many more. they're not made of PHP or Rails too.
the right tool for the right job. heck, if GAE supports PHP out-of-the-
box, I'd use PHP instead Java. but NOT because Java is irrelevant, but
because PHP is more suitable for the case.

> And that "enterprise" thing is nonsense. Enterprise adalah sebuah
> marketing hype untuk meyakinkan para bos yang bahkan gak peduli
> about being enterprise. The most important thing is to get the job
> done quickly, not to be enterprise.

maybe, maybe not. try convince vendor working on banking system to use
php or ruby for their core banking system :)

----
salam hangat,
Thomas Wiradikusuma
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/wiradikusuma