On Mon, 10 Mar 2014, Jonathan Aquilina wrote:

> I have two suggestions that might help, but first let me tell you a bit
> about myself.
>
> I am project manager for LMMS (Linux Multimedia Studio) and we recently
> started using github for our version control hosting.
>
> With this we started using continuous integration provided free of charge
> by Travis CI. It is very easy to integrate into a github repo by just
> adding a YAML file if I am not mistaken.  Once that is in place every
> commit triggers a build on the Travis CI build machines. It as well on the
> pull requests tells you if the build passes. If it does not it also alerts
> the committer that the build has failed so that it can quickly be fixed.

We originally looked at this for the Juju GUI but we could not use it.
Travis does not support the idea of a 'landing test run'. If your code
review takes a few days, the trunk that you ran in Travis could be changed
enough that your code no longer passes CI. This is why we went with Jenkins
and wrote the lander [2] tool. It forces a final CI pass and automates the
landing to the trunk branch.

I did reach out to the Travis folks and their reply was that they did not
think this idea of the post-review test/land work was part of their mission
and were not interested in adding support for it. I'm not sure how they
have that logic myself though.

[2] https://github.com/juju/jenkins-github-lander

Rick