Hi folks,

I've been debugging a bootstrap bug [0] that was caused by ssh timing out
(and the client not noticing), which was caused by "apt-get upgrade" taking
an awfully long time (6 minutes on Azure).
    [0] https://bugs.launchpad.net/juju-core/+bug/1316185

I just filed https://bugs.launchpad.net/juju-core/+bug/1335822, and did a
quick and dirty hack that brought the upgrade down to 3 minutes on Azure. I
don't know the variance, so I can't be sure that it's all due to eatmydata,
but smoser's results are similar.

Even with eatmydata, a full bootstrap on Azure just took me 10 minutes.
That's roughly broken down into:
 - apt-get update: 20s
 - apt-get upgrade: 3m20s
 - apt-get install <various>: 10s
 - Download tools (from shared Azure storage account): 5s
 - jujud bootstrap: 1m50s

We could bring the 10m down to 6m40s. Still not brilliant, but considerably
better IMO.

I propose that we remove the "apt-get upgrade" altogether. Cloud images are
regularly updated and tested, and I think we should be able to rely on that
alone. If users want something more up-to-date, they can use the daily
images which are not tested as a whole, but are composed of SRUs, which is
effectively what users get today.

Cheers,
Andrew