On Tue, Jul 15, 2014 at 2:51 PM, Wayne Witzel <wayne.wit...@canonical.com>
wrote:

> If we aren't stopping the line when our CI is in the red, then what is the
> point of even having CI at all? If we are not prepared to adjust the
> culture of our development. To truly halt forward progress in favor of
> chasing down regressions then I struggle to find the benefit that CI and
> testing is giving us at all. Just confirming that master is broken and we
> are still ignoring it? If master is broken, we all our broken. No
> development you are doing should proceed that is based on a broken master.
> That work cannot at any point be considered in good working condition. A
> problem in master is everyone's problem.
>
> Bugs that are found throughout the normal operations and usage of juju
> should be assigned a priority and queued, but regression is a sign of a
> greater problem that should be resolved immediately. Allowing regressions
> to not stop the line is taking the stance that we don't care about
> deterioration in our code base.

+100 to this. Regressions are a Big Deal and should be treated as such;
leaving other merges queued until such a time as the regression is fixed
(or backed out for rework) is entirely reasonable (and I think we've got
enough evidence that the alternative really doesn't fly effectively).

Cheers
William