On 23 October 2015 at 05:12, Tim Penhey <tim.pen...@canonical.com> wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> I scratched a personal itch yesterday and added the ability for users to
> specify their own aliases for juju commands.
>
> There are two primary use cases that I was trying to address.
>
> Firstly, the ability to specify default flags for commands:
>   status = status --format=tabular

This sounds useful, thanks. Presumably additional arguments are
just tacked onto the end?

> I could never remember the right environment variable to set to get
> tabular by default.
>
> The second was to allow quicker iteration around playing with new CLI
> structure.  As most people are aware, the 2.0 CLI is going to be
> somewhat different to the current one, and I thought it would be good to
> provide a way in which we could "test drive" the new CLI with the
> existing codebase without having to actually code anything.

Unless the new CLI is non-hierarchical I'm thinking that may
not work unless you can specify multi-level aliases;
For example:

    model destroy = environment destroy

which might be a little harder.

While I'm on the subject of hierarchical CLIs, I often have difficulty
remembering where a given command is buried. "juju commands | grep"
was often a decent solution but doesn't work when the command
I'm looking for is buried two levels deep. Any chance of something like
"juju commands --all" to show all commands, even those two or more
levels down?

  cheers,
    rog.