From: "brian mullan" <bmullan.m...@gmail.com>
Sent: ‎17/‎03/‎2014 11:30 PM
To: "James Page" <james.p...@ubuntu.com>
Cc: "juju" <juju@lists.ubuntu.com>
Subject: Re: JuJu, LXC, OpenStack charm problem w/Nova & Quantum

great information.. thanks James!

On Mon, Mar 17, 2014 at 8:21 AM, James Page <james.p...@ubuntu.com> wrote:

Hi Brian

I responded to your original mail as well - but also detailing a bit
more here.

On 17/03/14 12:09, brian mullan wrote:
[...]

> If OpenStack "could" be made to work with LXC then for linux based
> workloads...  OpenStack would be a great management system for a
> multi-tenant capable LXC based "cloud" environment.
>
> LXC 1.0 introduced a great deal of new capabilities to LXC

> including support for fully *unprivileged* containers and a host of

> new backingstore options.
>
> Stephane Graber did a great series of blog posts introducing LXC
> 1.0's new features - found here

> <https://www.stgraber.org/2013/12/20/lxc-1-0-blog-post-series/>.

> And yes, nested LXC does work and I've been using it for about a
> year now myself.

Aside from the problems I detailed in my first response about running
nova-compute and quantum-gateway in LXC containers, this configuration
is 100% supported by the OpenStack charms; infact this was one of the
configuration options that Mark Shuttleworth demo'ed live on-stage at
the OpenStack Summit in Hong Kong last November.

The nova-compute charm has a virt-type configuration option that
defaults to kvm; this can be switch to lxc (amongst other things).
Neutron works fine with LXC containers as the integration is by
libvirt which makes the networking part exactly the same as with KVM.

You could run this nested on a KVM based cloud or directly on
hardware; however out-of-the box you can't run this LXC in LXC.

- --
James Page
Ubuntu and Debian Developer
james.p...@ubuntu.com