Why not change the image-stream to 'daily' from 'release' rather than
altering whether or not we update packages on an instance?

The default environment configuration specifies that the image stream
is 'releases' rather than 'daily'.  This means that the delta for
updates will be large and updating the instance takes more time.  I'd
suggest changing that default and leave the automatic update.

If you keep the 'release' stream as the default and then make the
change to not perform updates then there are so many more packages
that are old and crufty (and possibly insecure).

The issue that you could break users means that package testing of
- -proposed during an SRU has missed a problem.  It's not just charms
that will break, it's any installation using that package, so this
really isn't a unique failure for charms.  Anyhow, if the package is
installed in the charm install hook then the instance will get the
latest version, so this argument boils down to, what happens if a core
package in the OS image breaks on update, right?

Samuel Cozannet's spreadsheet suggests testing with updates disabled
but running with updates enabled; this seems like a problem.  I say,
test with the daily image and keep updates on.  You would not be
testing what is being deployed.  At a minimum the automated testing
should always perform updates and should be run as packages are
updated in the archives.  If the charms had metadata on which packages
they installed, that knowledge could be used to automatically run
charm tests when those packages show up in -proposed.

Saying that we don't need to update because the user should be
following best practices by keeping their instances up-to-date is
saying that we don't need to demonstrate best practices.</soapbox>

- --Rob Jennings

On 10/02/2014 09:14 AM, Matt Rae wrote:
> Thanks Dave!
>
> A downside to disabling upgrades is that users may have a bad
> experience if broken packages get installed and their services
> don't work. Not sure how often this would happen.
>
> On Thu, Oct 2, 2014 at 6:19 AM, David Cheney
> <david.che...@canonical.com <mailto:david.che...@canonical.com>>
> wrote:
>

> On Thu, Oct 2, 2014 at 10:55 PM, Matt Rae <matt....@canonical.com
> <mailto:matt....@canonical.com>> wrote:
>
> I don't think the upgrade matters as much as speed. I feel like
> most users know to manage updates already, with their own policies,
> and that the fast user experience is important.
>
> Even if juju upgrades initially, users will still need to manage
> updates after, so I'm not sure how much the initial upgrade gains.
>
> "Juju is blazing fast!" is more exciting than "Juju makes sure I'm
> updated initially!"
>
> There is something to be said for having the exact same packages on
> every unit of a service rather than a few units having some
> versions, then units added later getting different versions.
>

> That happens anyway. Units added later may be built from later
> releases of the cloud image.
>

> Matt
>
> On Thu, Oct 2, 2014 at 12:27 AM, Samuel Cozannet
> <samuel.cozan...@canonical.com
> <mailto:samuel.cozan...@canonical.com>> wrote:
>
> Why not put our perception to the test?
>
> Here
> <https://docs.google.com/a/canonical.com/spreadsheets/d/1T-8rf_XxXbvCCRRHT69KtRM5k4oJiHyTEuzbENBU0Js/edit#gid=0>

is a spreadsheet where you can compile your variables. The