Ok - I have been able to add the relation using this,

                juju add-relation yarn-hdfs-master:resourcemanager
spark-master

But I still cannot see a /etc/hadoop/conf directory on the spark-master
machine
so I still get the same error about HADOOP_CONF_DIR and YARN_CONF_DIR
(below),

root@ip-172-31-60-53:~# spark-submit --class
org.apache.spark.examples.SparkPi     --master yarn-client
--num-executors 3     --driver-memory 1g     --executor-memory 1g
--executor-cores 1     --queue thequeue     lib/spark-examples*.jar     10
Spark assembly has been built with Hive, including Datanucleus jars on
classpath
Exception in thread "main" java.lang.Exception: When running with master
'yarn-client' either HADOOP_CONF_DIR or YARN_CONF_DIR must be set in the
environment.
at
org.apache.spark.deploy.SparkSubmitArguments.checkRequiredArguments(SparkSubmitArguments.scala:177)
at
org.apache.spark.deploy.SparkSubmitArguments.<init>(SparkSubmitArguments.scala:81)
at org.apache.spark.deploy.SparkSubmit$.main(SparkSubmit.scala:70)
at org.apache.spark.deploy.SparkSubmit.main(SparkSubmit.scala)
root@ip-172-31-60-53:~#

Should there be a /etc/hadoop/conf directory ?

Thanks for any help,

Ken