Greetings,

I'm all for sensible defaults and eliminating or mitigating paper cut
risk.  Those are all good things.  I do think we need to take a hard look
at the potential impact of a default charm config option value change, any
time that is considered.  My main concern is that, in changing a default
value, we risk breaking existing users.  But as long as we give advanced
notice, eta, updated docs, release notes, etc., I think it could be
completely reasonable to pursue a default value change.

As I understand the original motivation behind this proposed default value
change, when deploying the mysql charm into lxc, it may fail unless the
dataset-size option value is set to something like 128MB instead of the
default 80%.  So, a user may not be able to just drop the mysql charm into
lxc with the defaults and experience success.  They need to set the config
option value to something workable for their environment. That impacts
adoption.  ie. It doesn't "just work."

If we do make the default value change, we need to take a look at the
bundles in the charm store to identify and adjust any which rely on the
established default value.  For example...  ;-)  and I'm not at all biased:
https://jujucharms.com/openstack-base/36  (
https://api.jujucharms.com/charmstore/v4/bundle/openstack-base-36/archive/bundle.yaml
)

That one is easy enough to identify and fix, but it underscores the need to
take the time to identify, evaluate and discuss the risks, then define the
things-to-do, and proceed if that is the consensus.

Cheers,

Ryan