On 8 January 2016 at 00:48, Jorge O. Castro <jo...@ubuntu.com> wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> Katherine walked me through using the new LXD provider in the Juju
> Alpha: https://linuxcontainers.org/lxd/
>
> The one caveat right now is that you need to be on wily or xenial as your
> host.
>
> We are collecting feedback here along with the current working
> instructions:
> https://docs.google.com/document/d/1lbh3ZkkSdBOGRadF_6FWrijbOhH4Vf2f7alrZFr8pz0/edit?usp=sharing

I don't seem to be able to add feedback there.

Initial feedback:
  - lxd hasn't made it into the release notes yet, at least in the
1.26alpha3 copy I have.

  - container creation is as slow or slower than lxc. I think there
are still some 'apt get updates', upgrades and package installs being
run between container creation and kicking off the charm. It is well
over an order of magnitude slower to do 'juju deploy ubuntu' than it
is to 'lxc launch ubuntu first'. We might need richer templates, with
agents and dependencies preinstalled. Yes, it is fast but seems only
as fast as the lxc provider with the btrfs hack has been for some time
(I'm using the btrfs hack with lxd too, per the lxd getting started
guide).

  - bootstrap spits out a well known and understood error. The images
team needs to fix this or juju team work around it, as it breaks
charms too (cassandra, rabbit, others have fallen victim): "sudo:
unable to resolve host
juju-f2339d90-dd3c-4a1f-8cd2-13e7c795df3f-machine-0". The fix is to
add the relevant entry for $hostname to /etc/hosts.

  - The namespace option in environments.yaml doesn't seem to have any
visible effect. I'm still getting container names like
juju-f2339d90-dd3c-4a1f-8cd2-13e7c795df3f-machine-0, whereas I'd like
something friendlier. This is likely just me not understanding what
this option does.

  - alas, I tripped over a show stopper for me elsewhere in 1.26alpha3
so haven't proceeded much further. Anecdotally it seems more reliable
than the old lxc provider, but I'll need to be able to do more runs to
confirm that.

  - I very much look forward to using a remote lxd server. Its always
surprising how many Cassandra nodes this little laptop can support,
but offloading it to a cloud vm while keeping the fast container
spinup times will be nice ;)

--
Stuart Bishop <stuart.bis...@canonical.com>