On Wed, Jun 15, 2016 at 11:52 AM, Jay Wren <jay.w...@canonical.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Jun 14, 2016 at 5:50 PM, Charles Butler <
> charles.but...@canonical.com> wrote:
>
>> - There is currently no way to disable TLS wrapped endpoints on Etcd (we
>> want to keep our coordination data secure don't we?)
>>

> For our use case, we consider the overhead of establishing a new TLS
> connection for every read or write to be heavier weight than we wish for
> our etcd clients. We trust the network on which we run and we aren't
> getting and setting any sensitive data.
>
> I value speed. I would continue to use a previous version of the charm.

Etcd really doesn't handle a high volume of writes anyway though. The
overhead of a TLS handshake can be minimal, it just depends on the
algorithm & key lengths used. This should be configurable in the layer, I
think. EC and 2048-bit RSA have reasonable handshake times.

4096-bit RSA for TLS server keys is really slow though, I've seen
handshakes on the order of seconds when benchmarking.