Say you have a charm that deploys a proprietary piece of software. That
software has an EULA that prohibits anyone from redistributing it. The user is
essentially forced to go to the software vendor website, login using their
account, buy the software, and accept the EULA before being able to use the
software.

In this scenario, we cannot upload that piece of software as a resource into
the charm store, and set that as the "default" resource for the charm. The
license for that software does not allow us to. Most users that consume such
software are aware of this, and is of no surprise to them that they have to
"own" those resources before they can deploy them.

There are 2 options here:

1) Canonical is given permission to redistribute the piece of software in
question (Sharepoint, Exchange, MS SQL ISOs, etc), and validates that the user
deploying the charm has the right to deploy that software.
2) Allow a charm to be published without resources, and validate during
deployment if the resources are available or not. The charm can handle the
missing resources and print a nice comprehensive status message. If the charm
also includes a decent README on how to deploy the service, it should be enough
to smooth the process. In this scenario, the responsibility of making sure all
license terms are satisfied, falls onto the user.

It is unfortunate that licensing gets in the way of simplicity, but it is an
issue that we need to keep in mind.

Cheers,
Gabriel